AddOrder thinkScript - Backtest Buy & Sell in ThinkorSwim

Hey!
I have been backtesting and I want to test taking incremental profits. In this case, selling 1 contract at 1 atr, 1 at 2, and 1 at three.
This code is for the last part of the strategy and does not have all the variables. It is not optimal, but I am learning.

Code:
#keltner channels
input kdisplace = 0;

def shift1 = 1 * MovingAverage( AverageType.SIMPLE, TrueRange(high, close, low), 21);
def shift2 = 2 * MovingAverage( AverageType.SIMPLE, TrueRange(high, close, low), 21);
def shift3 = 3 * MovingAverage( AverageType.SIMPLE, TrueRange(high, close, low), 21);

def kaverage = MovingAverage( AverageType.SIMPLE, price, length);

def Upper_Band1 = kaverage[-displace] + shift1[-displace];
def Upper_Band2 = kaverage[-displace] + shift2[-displace];
def Upper_Band3 = kaverage[-displace] + shift3[-displace];

#profit targets
def profit1 = close crosses above Upper_Band1;
def profit2 = close crosses above Upper_Band2 or close crosses below Upper_Band1;
def profit3 = close crosses above Upper_Band3 or close crosses below Upper_Band1 or close crosses below Upper_Band2;

#stop
def stop = close < ema34 and close[1] < ema34;

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, buy, close, 3, tickcolor = Color.GREEN, arrowcolor = Color.GREEN);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_to_close, profit1, close, 1, tickcolor = Color.RED, name = "Profit1");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_to_close, profit2, close, 1, tickcolor = Color.RED, name = "Profit2");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_to_close, profit3, close, 1, tickcolor = Color.RED, name = "Profit3");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_to_close, sell, close, 1, tickcolor = Color.RED, name = "Turned");
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_to_close, stop, close, 3, tickcolor = Color.RED, name = "Stop");

The code keeps opening a position at 3 contracts and then at profit1 it will sell all the contracts. I have tried sell_auto but it then opens a short position.

Is it possible to take incremental profits and not open new short positions?
I'm not aware of a way to take incremental profits, sorry.
@Camus1612 Unfortunately, TOS allows for multiple Buys using AddOrder() but I'm fairly certain that Sell orders close the entire trade regardless of how many shares have been bought... Therefore, you can scale into a simulated trade but you cannot scale out...

Reference link: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...t-auto-buy-sell-in-thinkorswim.741/post-41368

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hello,
So I am learning here so please go easy on me lol. So I am trying to create a strategy to backtest as follows:

Buy Condition = buy when MACD value is below zero and value crosses above avg.
Edit Condition = Price when buy condition was triggered minus lowest of the price candle and add that to Price at buy condition.
- So let's say Buy condition was triggered when TSLA at 600$, and the lowest of the past three candles is 595. So the target exit would be 600+(600-595) = when the close crosses above 605.

Here is my simple script:
Code:
input tradesize = 10;

def Cross = MACD()."Value" is less than or equal to MACD()."ZeroLine" and MACD()."Value" crosses above MACD()."Avg";
def A = if cross then lowest(low,3) else cross[1];
def B = if cross then close else cross[1];
def Target = B+(b-a);

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, cross, close[0], tradesize, Color.CYAN, Color.CYAN);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, close>=target or close <a , close[0], tradesize, Color.MAGENTA, Color.MAGENTA);

ISSUE: So as you can see from the image, it seems like entry and exit are being triggered almost at the same time and I cant figure out why, I tried info posted here: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...buy-sell-in-thinkorswim.741/page-8#post-42477. But I am still not able to figure it out...
GOv22H9.png

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it
@Learnbot, [I realize this is a belated response, but it might help someone else with a similar question.

Instead of this:
Code:

Try this:
Code:
def A = if cross then lowest(low,3) else A[1];
def B = if cross then close else B[1];

Rationale:
1. The way you've defined cross, it's value is 1 or 0.
2. The way you've defined B and A, It's possible for B and A to be assigned the Cross value (1 or 0) (look at your "ELSE" statement).
3. I'm assuming you actually want A and B to have their prior values as an ELSE condition, not prior values for "Cross".
Note: The "try this" code snippet above should replace your "def A" and "def B".

Example Code below uses plots to demonstrate the problem in your original code. Load up the Databox to more easily visualize the plot values. (The technique of using plots or labels to determine values is oft-mentioned across this site. Hope this example helps!)

Example Code to demonstrate the issue.
Code:
declare lower;
def Cross = MACD()."Value" is less than or equal to MACD()."ZeroLine" and MACD()."Value" crosses above MACD()."Avg";
def Target = B+(b-a);

plot valueCross = Cross;
plot valueA = A;
plot ValueB = B;
plot ValueTarget = Target;
valueCross.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
valueA.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
ValueB.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);
ValueTarget.SetdefaultColor(Color.CYAN);

To replicate, you can use an AAPL Daily chart, from 3/14/2022

Databox from your original code:

UT7F2Zs.png

Databox from fixed code:

yuSWnij.png

References:
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Reserved-Words/def
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Reserved-Words/plot
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/howToTos/thinkManual/charts/Useful-Tools/Data-Box

I would like to take the following scan criteria and convert this into a strategy, that when true it will trigger a buy signal. I am looking to use this with stocks in order to back test my strategy in OnDemand. I have not figured out what will be the sell signal yet but needed to start somewhere.

View attachment 8449
I know this post is quite old, but does anyone what the complete stochastic crossing stochastic line is in the above post. I am unfamiliar with using a stochastic crossing over another stochastic. Just trying to learn something. :)