AddChartBubble Tutorial For ThinkOrSwim

Sabs

AddChartBubble overlaps bars when used with current prices as shown in my picture below. How would I go about moving the bubble 2 bars to the right, for example, so it doesn't overlap?

Code:
input EMAValue = 30;

def lastPrice = close(priceType = PriceType.LAST);
def _ChosenMovingAverage = MovingAverage(AverageType.Exponential, close, EMAValue);

AddChartBubble(IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close), close, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.GREEN);

H02ouEE.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
AddChartBubble overlaps bars when used with current prices as shown in my picture below. How would I go about moving the bubble 2 bars to the right, for example, so it doesn't overlap?

I don't believe you can shift a bubble in the way you want. However, you can move it slightly to get it out of your way by placing it at the high or low and then having it point up or down.

Place it at the high and above:
AddChartBubble(IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close), high, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.GREEN);

Place it at the low and below (notice the 0 on the end):
AddChartBubble(IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close), low...

I don't believe you can shift a bubble in the way you want. However, you can move it slightly to get it out of your way by placing it at the high or low and then having it point up or down.

Place it at the high and above:
AddChartBubble(IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close), high, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.GREEN);

Place it at the low and below (notice the 0 on the end):
AddChartBubble(IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close), low, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.GREEN,0);

Another alternative would be to add it as a label instead of a bubble, that way it's completely out of the way:
def PChange = AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1);
AddLabel(if IsNaN(close[-1]) and !IsNAN(close) then 1 else 0, "Change: "+AsPercent(PChange), color.green);

Edit:
Since I found this just a minute after replying, you could do something like this apparently (just change for your condition):

Ruby:
# plots a bubble x bars after last bar
input bars_in_future = 3;
def bif = bars_in_future;
def cls = close;
def x = isNaN(cls[bif]) and !isNaN(cls[bif+1]);
def vert = cls[bif+1];
AddChartBubble(x, vert, vert, color.white, yes);

Last edited:
Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thank you for the response. I had found similar code for adding bars that I didn't have success with. I tried the code you posted in your edit and had the same issue.

The code works as posted for displaying the closing price in the desired position. However, if I attempt to replace the text that the bubble displays, "N/A" appears. It does move the bubble to the desired position.

Code:

For instance, if I replace the 2nd vert with something simple like cls then N/A is displayed. In my case, I'm trying to display the % from the EMA with "AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1))" and it displays N/A.

vaNd1Ii.png

Full code with the N/A issue:

Code:
input EMAValue = 30;

def ChosenMovingAverage = ExpAverage(close, EMAValue);

input bars_in_future = 2;
def cls = close;
def vert = cls[bif+1];

#Bubble
AddchartBubble(x, vert, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.white);

I appreciate your help.

Try this

Ruby:
input EMAValue = 30;

def cls = close;
def vert = cls[bif+1];
plot lastPrice = close(priceType = PriceType.LAST)[bif];
plot ChosenMovingAverage = ExpAverage(close[bif], EMAValue);

#Bubble
AddchartBubble(x, vert, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice[1]/ChosenMovingAverage[1]) - 1)), Color.white);

Thank you for the response. I had found similar code for adding bars that I didn't have success with. I tried the code you posted in your edit and had the same issue.

The code works as posted for displaying the closing price in the desired position. However, if I attempt to replace the text that the bubble displays, "N/A" appears. It does move the bubble to the desired position.

Code:

For instance, if I replace the 2nd vert with something simple like cls then N/A is displayed. In my case, I'm trying to display the % from the EMA with "AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/_ChosenMovingAverage) - 1))" and it displays N/A.

vaNd1Ii.png

Code:
input EMAValue = 30;

def cls = close;
def vert = cls[bif+1];

#Bubble
AddchartBubble(x, vert, AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice/ChosenMovingAverage) - 1)), Color.white);

I appreciate your help.
This should help. I changed def vert to be a number defining how many bars the data from the last candle has to be offset to display in the bubble. In other words the x displays the bubble one bar to the right of the last bar. The input bars_in_future moves it 2 more to the right. Vert is then defined to be the 2 bars plus the 1 that the bubble was already moved to the right by x.

Capture.jpg
Ruby:
input EMAValue = 30;

def cls = close;
def vert = bif+1;

#Bubble
AddchartBubble(x, close[vert], AsPercent(AbsValue((lastPrice[vert]/ChosenMovingAverage[vert]) - 1)), Color.white);

Each reference to [vert] within AddChartBubble returns the following error: "Only constants expected here: vert CL function indexer of" close/lastPrice/ChosenMovingAverage

Are you using the code I posted above? I am not having that problem. Here is a share link to the code above. Try that. https://tos.mx/ewHD8F4

Thanks for the link - I must've entered something incorrectly because it works great for me now!

Separately, I'm working on assigning different colors to the bubble based on values but I will post separately about that. Thanks again!

Code:

vaNd1Ii.png

Code:
input EMAValue = 30;

def cls = close;
def vert = cls[bif+1];

#Bubble

I appreciate your help.

that is some code i posted awhile ago, post2

if you change one of the first 3 parameters, (time, price, text) you have to make sure the variable has data.
if the time data causes the bubble to be placed after the last bar then the other 2 parameters, price and text, may need an offset to look back at older bars , where valid price data is.
If you just put close as one of the parameters, and there is no price data , then it will be an NA.

that is some code i posted awhile ago, post2

if you change one of the first 3 parameters, (time, price, text) you have to make sure the variable has data.
if the time data causes the bubble to be placed after the last bar then the other 2 parameters, price and text, may need an offset to look back at older bars , where valid price data is.
If you just put close as one of the parameters, and there is no price data , then it will be an NA.

Got it, thanks so much for the explanation! Makes sense now, and that helped me fix my if-then-else color parameter within the same line.

You guys are code wizards!