A Re-Painting Heiken MTF Strategy

• Thread starter YungTraderFromMontana
  • Start date
YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana - as you more than likely know, the signal engine is driven mainly by the aggregation period that is used in the inputs. If the aggregation period signal changes the strategy signal will change. This is why most re-paints are mid aggregation period. The more the symbol trends the fewer the re-paints.
Okay good to know, I feel like the effectivity of almost all indicators comes down to sorting trending from not. But as it looks so far, I think this is profitable without using any study to determine trending periods so any improvements on that front would just be improving profits. I'll spend some time today testing some trend/chop indicators.

mc01439

mc01439

2019 Donor
VIP
@diazlaz - In reference to your code for "HeikinAshiCandles MTF". Why is sBullish HA2 coded 100,1,0

def sBullish_HA2 = if(enableHAMTF and sHA2 == 100,1,0);

and sBearish coded just -100? I understand the (-).

def sBearish_HA2 = enableHAMTF and sHA2 == -100;

As just trying to understand the entire code.

S

sicilianslice

Thanks for the strategy... I'm pretty new to TOS so hoping someone can help me with the following questions...

1. I opened the strategy in TOS while under "on demand". It showed all candles and buy/sell signals up until the point I pulled it up, but did not generate any new candles not buy/sell signals once I pulled up a different ticker symbol.

2. How can I backtest this strategy over a # of days with different securities?

3. How can I trade this live automatically.

Thanks in advance.

D

diazlaz

2019 Donor
VIP
@mc01439 they are actually the same thing, as it calculates as a Boolean value - originally I must of had it as a non Boolean and I think for a reason I ended up turning it into a Boolean value, and never went back to simplify it.

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

1. If I understand correctly I think tos was just loading/lagging.
2. Change the ticker and/or days on your chart.
3. You can not trade this automatically on tos.

mc01439

mc01439

2019 Donor
VIP
Thanks for the strategy... I'm pretty new to TOS so hoping someone can help me with the following questions...

1. I opened the strategy in TOS while under "on demand". It showed all candles and buy/sell signals up until the point I pulled it up, but did not generate any new candles not buy/sell signals once I pulled up a different ticker symbol.

2. How can I backtest this strategy over a # of days with different securities?

3. How can I trade this live automatically.

Thanks in advance.
1) On Demand is slow and at times does not load well with a complex strategy.

2) I believe 30 days is the max day load for a 1 minute chart. I have found this strategy too complex to go back in time with demand. The best way to test this code is through market open observation. Every code has its own personality, learning it will help you trade it with success.

3) TOS does not have a auto trade function TD Ameritrade did away with auto trade when they stopped supporting "StrategyDesk". This code is too complex to work around in my view.

T

tomsk

VIP
You can't trade this. It's just a zig zag, meaningless indicator

Exactly right - See my comment on this exact issue way back in November 2019

D

diazlaz

2019 Donor
VIP
Don't be against MTFs because it repaints at times, seriously you all having something here. It's hard to backtest due to the way ToS works, forwarding real-time testing is required.

I recommend you all try to work towards the goal of identifying a confirmation indicator in the dominate time frame (time frame of the chart), as a entry point. It will greatly improve the results.

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

Don't be against MTFs because it repaints at times, seriously you all having something here. It's hard to backtest due to the way ToS works, forwarding real-time testing is required.

I recommend you all try to work towards the goal of identifying a confirmation indicator in the dominate time frame (time frame of the chart), as a entry point. It will greatly improve the results.
Even if it's tradable repaint can be super frustrating. I'd rather use other stratagies.

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
@diazlaz I changed the title to have the word “re-painting” because the thread starter claimed that it is. I have not used or load this on my chart so I took his word for it.

Now, if it is based on what you’re saying, then that’s not called re-painting. If people are going to use a MTF indicator on their lower timeframe, they would need to wait for the highest candle (in term of timeframe) to close in order to confirm their bias. The signal may or may not disappear during this process solely based on the MTF factor. In that case, we can’t call it repainting. That would be the wrong way to call it.

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

@diazlaz I changed the title to have the word “re-painting” because the thread starter claimed that it is. I have not used or load this on my chart so I took his word for it.

Now, if it is based on what you’re saying, then that’s not called re-painting. If people are going to use a MTF indicator on their lower timeframe, they would need to wait for the highest candle (in term of timeframe) to close in order to confirm their bias. The signal may or may not disappear during this process solely based on the MTF factor. In that case, we can’t call it repainting. That would be the wrong way to call it.
It would still consider it re-painting; I think the title is adequate. It's honestly misleading on my part, I didn't fully understand the extent it repainted when I posted it.

mc01439

mc01439

2019 Donor
VIP
It would still consider it re-painting; I think the title is adequate. It's honestly misleading on my part, I didn't fully understand the extent it repainted when I posted it.
@diazlaz is correct. I am using an MTF indicator today, the key as I have said in the past UNDERSTANDING what you are trading. That understanding comes thru experimenting as @YungTraderFromMontana has been doing.

Thank You for the great contributions all are making!

Last edited:
A

anycolour

I'm having trouble understanding what "repainting" means. Would be great if someone could explain it to me in an understandable way. Maybe even add some screenshots or video as examples.

Thank you!